On 02/04/2012 01:07 AM, Kevin Venzke wrote:
Personally I don't understand why one would want to spend time on a
method that you have to defend by saying "it might work anyway," even
if as built the incentives are wrong.

I don't know if you're replying to me, but it seems to me that any deterministic rated method that satisfies two simple criteria would have an Approval vote as its maximally strategic vote, and voting strategically can't strictly be worse (for each individual voter) than not doing so.

The criteria are as follows:

- Per-candidate monotonicity: If you increase (decrease) the rating of candidate X, holding all other candidate scores constant, that will never reduce (increase) X's chance of winning. - Per-candidate independence: Raising or lowering X's score while holding other scores constant never makes the winner turn from A to B (for some pair of other candidates {A, B}).

Range passes these. So does MJ.

By per-candidate monotonicity, increasing X's score to max will not hurt X. By per-candidate independence, doing so won't make a compromise candidate you might like lose, either.

So one may want to spend time on these methods because they're within a certain class of methods (those that pass the criteria above), even if that means that one can't help rewarding Approval-style ballots at least as much as honest ones. (MJ's big feature is then that in a way, it rewards Approval-style ballots as little as possible over honest ones. It does the best it can, given the constraints.)

The name is so bad. Imagine you hear that on the news and are trying
to figure out what it means. "Majority" doesn't tell you that much
(IRV already does majorities and they didn't even need to put it in
the name) and "judgment" refers to what? The voting. They're calling
it "judgment" though. Puke. So dramatic and it doesn't even say
anything.

"Majority" says that, unlike other rated methods, it passes Majority.
"Judgement" means that you're supposed to compare the candidates to an external grade standard (judge how good they are) instead of comparing them to each other.