Mike O had written:
We often hear about how Condorcet, but not Approval, lets you help Favorite against
Compromise.
I agree, but not with Mike O's many words. He offers one special case - I will try to be general as to the ideas, but base my thoughts on Plurality, Approval, and a sample Condorcet method.

Starting with the example Mike O provides below, C is Worse, A or B is Favorite, and remaining candidate, B or A, is Compromise.

Any of the three, as well as many other methods, can be used to vote for a single candidate:
.     A
.     B

Approval or Condorcet can vote for more than one with equal approval or ranking:
.      AB

Condorcet can vote for 1-to-many at each of multiple ranks, with each preferred over all but those given the same or a higher rank by the same voter:
.     A>B
.     B>A

Condorcet allows voting for both A and B, while showing preference for the preferred candidate.