On 6.7.2012, at 0.40, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:

> - For instance, a system based entirely on random selection would probably
> not have very powerful parties, as the parties would have no way of getting
> "their" candidates into the assembly. Of course, such a system would not have
> the aristocratic aspect either. Hybrid systems could still make parties less
> relevant: I've mentioned a "sortition followed by election within the group"
> idea before, where a significant sample is picked from the population and
> they elect representatives from their number. Again, parties could not be
> sure any of "their" candidates would be selected at random in the first
> round. While that method tries to keep some of the selection for best, it
> disrupts the continuity that parties need and the effect of "marketing" ahead
> of time.

In this mail steram parties have been referred to at leas as 1) groups that
dictate the policy (instead of allowing voters to do so), 2) groups that keep
the insiders in power for ever, 3) groups that accept only their favourites as
candidates, 4) goups that represent the interests of their sponsors, 5) groups
that represent the (economical, ideological, psychological) interests of the
party insiders. On the more positive side parties have been referred to as 1)
groupings that allow similar minded people to influence mor effectively
together, 2) simplifying ideological concepts that make it easier for the
voters to point out the best difrection that the society should take.

When you refer to making "parties less relevant" and the "sortition followed by
election within the group" idea, I think your proposal focuses especially on
making the role of carreer politicians smaller, and bringing the
representatives closer to the voters. That is a quite effective approach to
eliminating lifelong political careers (parties as ideological concepts might
still stay). Other techniques could be e.g. to limit the number of consecutive
terms, or to elect representatives cyclically from different municipalities.

This approach would make our represenatives less professional. If the
representatives become too much "amateurs", we may see a rise of some other
level of professional politicians, maybe working in the background, helping or
steering the formal representatives. One must thus seek a good balance between
professional and amateur politicians.

If we lean on the professional side, the representatives could be pretty much
as today, but the politicians would just have to be prepared to do give up and
do something else for a while, when they are not elected. If we lean on the
amateur side, we could complement this approach by allowing the representatives
to stay at home and make decisions from there. Modern communications technology
would allow e.g. having 10 or 100 times as many representatives as today, and
allowing those representatives to keep their old jobs and vote from their home.
That would probably leave space for ideological party offices working to
prepare the topics for decision. The final power would still lie in the hands
of the representatives (it may be a good thing that they are at home and not
under the influence of lobbyists at the party office) but certainly some of the
power would lie also elsewhere. The overall balance might be quite decent also
in the amateur oriented model though.

(I note that the aristrocratic aspect applies probably to many systems,
including also fascism and communism, where the idea is that a selected group
of people will drive the progress forward. Further I note that large
organizations have higher tendency of becoming aristocratic and leading to the
power of elite, civil servants, lobbyists and professional politicians, since
the higher stakes invite harder players, and the distance from voters gets
longer.)

Juho