On 3/21/2013 2:05 PM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
On 03/19/2013 03:08 AM, Richard Fobes wrote:
I continue to fail to understand why citizens think of politics as a
left-versus-right tug-of-war. That's what it used to be before special
interests hired election experts to advise them on how to take advantage
of vote splitting.

Now, the much bigger gap is up-versus-down. The vast majority of
voters are "up" and the biggest campaign contributors are "down."
(The "downers" are also known as special interests.)

Here, it seems that up vs down compresses a lot more, i.e. resolves
itself. We're not perfect (by any means), but if income inequality is
any metric, Norway's Gini coefficient is at around 26 while the United
States exceeds 40 (and is around the same level as China last I checked).

You seem to be picturing a vertical (up-versus-down) dimension that has rich people at the top and poor people at the bottom. That is different than what I'm describing.

To repeat:
>> Now, the much bigger gap is up-versus-down. The vast majority of
>> voters are "up" and the biggest campaign contributors are "down."
>> (The "downers" are also known as special interests.)

It's true that there are no poor people "down" among the biggest campaign contributors.

However, there are some very rich people at the top of this vertical scale.

In other words, some rich people would be at the top, and some would be at the bottom.

The rich people at the top (who share the political goals of the majority of voters) may or may not give campaign contributions to help offset the money from special interests. Yet their total contributions pale in comparison with the businesses/people at the "bottom" who give the largest contributions (also known as special interests).

In other words, _votes_ attract political parties upward, toward the majority of voters, while _money_ (in the form of campaign contributions) pulls the parties downward toward special interests (who then get tax breaks, legal monopolies, government contracts, etc.).

Here is a link to such a "map" of politics:

    http://www.votefair.org/pencil_metaphor.html

For each campaign-contribution dollar given by someone at the bottom of this dimension, they and/or their business typically gain many times as many dollars. One accounting revealed that a specific business gained about $400 for each $1 they gave as a campaign contribution (including money spent on losing candidates). That ROI (return on investment) is a huge percentage, something around 40,000% !

That's why special interests spend so much on elections. It's a drop in the bucket compared to how much they gain.

To further reduce the relevance of coalition-building backroom deals,
VoteFair negotiation ranking would be used by the parliament to make
laws on an issue-by-issue basis, rather than on a backroom-deal (by the
coalition leaders) -by-backroom-deal basis.

Okay. So just to see if I got it right, you're saying that instead of
PR, you'd have larger groups, and then these groups would negotiate
among themselves, in the open, using the VoteFair method?

In this context, each participant using VoteFair _negotiation_ ranking (which is different from the other, election-based VoteFair methods) would be an MP -- minister of parliament.

The VoteFair negotiation ranking calculations do not identify any "groups".

Also, the algorithm is completely unaware of the notion of political parties. (This makes it useful in yet other contexts.)

VoteFair negotiation ranking starts by approving the most popular proposal. Then it begins the process of also approving "proposals" that are the most popular among the voters (MPs in this case) who have not yet gotten as much as they deserve. Of course that process cycles back to approving majority-supported proposals as needed to maximize (within limits) all the voters getting represented in the final list of approved proposals.

The software allows any voter (MP) to view the ranking provided by any voter. Current parliaments would probably want to keep these rankings private (not public), but in the distant future, when government transparency becomes more common, each MP's ranking would be made public (for those who care to analyze the details).

Here, unlike other kinds of voting, any participant can propose any new proposal, and that proposal is initially ranked as neutral (neither liked nor disliked).

The final result is a list of approved proposals that can be combined into a proposed law, and that law is likely to be approved by a majority of the MPs. If not approved, the negotiation process continues, which means that the MPs would change their rankings and possibly add new proposals to resolve the details of conflicts.

All of that is done in real time, which means there are no "rounds" of voting. Anyone can change their ranking at any time. And the calculations are done whenever someone wants to view the current result.

Does that clarify how VoteFair negotiation ranking eliminates the need to form coalitions?

Richard Fobes