Okay so here's my thought:

Obviously drop 2D support. That is a hell of a relief to be able to do.

We don't really have anyone to do the work it's going to take to get
Mutter/Muffin up to speed. The animations are just lame, I wouldn't want to
ship it.

However Compiz is a dead-end in the long term as well. We're going to have to
move away.

So what path from Luna to Luna +1 is going to 1. Be easiest for us to code and
2. Piss of our users the least.

While we're thinking about that, we do have a bit of an ace in the hole. I know
it would suck a lot, but we could consider delaying Luna until after 12.10 in
order to inherit LLVM pipe and also to have the time to get Mutter/Muffin up to
speed.

Best Regards,
Daniel Foré