Then you probably haven't properly installed it.

I recommend using ATK for programmatically extracting strings. It's also
compatible with Qt (given you have the required package installed, which
Ubuntu ships by default and elementary OS should pull in on installing Qt)
and possibly with other toolkits and doesn't require loading custom GTK
modules.

Before you ask, GtkParasite is probably not a great idea for unit testing
either since it's a primarily interactive tool. Canonical maintains a
custom solution for unit testing on GTK and Qt apps, with the GTK one being
slightly less maintained. It is in turn based on per-package unit testing
infrastructure inherited from Debian and expanded by Ubuntu. Hit up on
Martin Pitt's Ubuntu Developer Week talk on quality assurance for details.

Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff
OS architect @ elementary