On 02/05/2014 07:32 PM, Daniel Foré wrote:
> That's not a bad idea even for just being able to package pantheon on
> Debian. I wonder if we can get someone with a Debian system to try
> installing Pantheon and see what issues they encounter

Packaging Pantheon isn't the big problem as far as I can see (from my
experience in packaging it for Gentoo Linux). The main problem with
pantheon is it's dependency on some Ubuntu specific patches for Gnome
libraries. For example, the user-specific background feature of the
pantheon-greeter depends on a patched version of accountsservice and
gnome-settings-daemon to work (these are the hard parts to figure out).

For this reason I'm now also trying to maintain these Gnome packages
with Ubuntu patches in my repository. Furthermore the dependency of
Gnome (and core components like gnome-settings-daemon) on systemd causes
some issues (media-keys not working proberly, logoff/shutdown/reboot not
working, etc.).

So aside from being able to install Pantheon on debian, I see most
issues in the system integration and the full user experience (including
installer etc.) as the main problem.

Kind regards,
Pim Vullers