Indeed I have noticed the other patches, but I don't think they are the same as mine. So, now we have a three way merge.

I guess some more of the changes could be merged if properly cleaned up and made to benefit other obscure platforms, too. However, there are a few I got a definite "no" for. In particular the windows dance around text/binary mode when opening files was not welcome. I couldn't come up with a better solution than adding an O_BINARY or O_TEXT to every single open() call. We actually need the distinction as some files need to be opened in text mode for the tests to pass. If you can come up with anything better here, please let me know.

best regards,
Ulf