The equivalent to “did you try turning it off and on again” for OS installation
issues is typically “are you using the latest firmware” ☺ I always get the
latest firmware for a new board, since it may have been updated since leaving
the factory. Of course, I work on firmware as my job… so maybe I’m not a normal
user.

I am running a MinnowBoard Turbot Quad (not the dual Ethernet version) with the
x64 UEFI firmware, release 0.96. I installed both Ubuntu 16.10 x64 and Ubuntu
16.04.2 LTS without issue. The core firmware is the same for all MinnowBoard
Max/Turbot variants, so the OS behavior should also be similar.

Before updating the firmware, there are a few things to check …

1.     Power off the MinnowBoard. Remove the USB stick with the Ubuntu
installer and make sure the SD card is in the slot.

2.     Boot the MinnowBoard and go into the firmware setup menu. Select “Boot
Manager” and see if there is an entry for “Ubuntu” in the list of devices
(should be at the top).

a.      Note: if you upgraded the firmware then this setting may get erased.
The installer creates this entry in NVRAM after installation and sets it as the
first device in the bot order.

3.     From the “Boot Manager” select “EFI Internal Shell”. This should boot
you to the built-in UEFI Shell. If the SD card is recognized, then it should be
listed as FS0:

a.      If FS0: is detected, run the Shell command ‘fs0:’ (without quotes) and
do an ‘ls’ to see if there is anything on the partition. This should be the
UEFI boot partition (ESP – EFI Service Partition), with an ‘EFI\UBUNTU’
directory containing the OS bootloader (bootx64.efi and grub).

b.     If the directory & boot loader exist, try executing ‘bootx64.efi’ to
load Ubuntu.

The error you reported makes it sound like the boot variable was written
correctly, but the SD card wasn’t detected and this caused the OS boot failure.
This might be a minor issue (SD card slipped out of the slot), a power supply
issue, faulty SD card, or some paranormal activity that I can’t help you with
via email.

Once you rule out the paranormal, I recommend you update the firmware to 0.96
(x64 release version) and try again.

Thanks … br
---
Brian Richardson, Senior Technical Marketing Engineer, Intel Software
brian.richard...@intel.com<mailto:brian.richard...@intel.com> -- @intel_brian
(Twitter & WeChat)
https://software.intel.com/en-us/meet-the-developers/evangelists/team/brian-richardson