Hi Steve et al,

No, this is not a show-stopper.  It’s just me trying out a new (to me) feature.
 Given the problems I had (as recorded a month or so ago in this list) with
getting the Turbot firmware to boot the Debian installer from a USB stick, I
figured it would be useful (and fun) to experiment with other ways of
accomplishing the task.

Here’s what I did:

I set up a small local network consisting of a netgate router providing access
to the Internet, running pfSense, one Intel NUC to use as the server, and the
aforementioned MinnowBoard Turbot as client.

The NUC is running Debian Stretch, set up with dnsmasq as described in the
Debian wiki:
    https://wiki.debian.org/PXEBootInstall
The Turbot has a monitor plugged into the HDMI port, a keyboard and mouse
plugged into the USB2 port, and an 8GB uSD card into which I hope to install
Debian Stretch.

I tested this setup with a Dell laptop (legacy BIOS, not UEFI) and was able to
boot into the installer running in “rescue” mode so as not to damage the system
already installed on it.

However, when I power-up the Turbot and tell the firmware to boot via the
ethernet with PXE, it gives the behavior I described: Screen flashes too fast
to read, and return to the firmware.

I have not tried it with a serial console, though I plan to — I’ll report back
when I have something to report.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Rick