@jose, @Qqwy,

I am prototyping some of these implementation details in the next release
of my CLDR work.  The nature of a week is indeed a complex beast.  But
since José was smart enough to pick ISO calendar as the Elixir
implementation the definition of "first week" seems clear.  The first week
is that in which the first Thursday falls. (or is the that week with at
least 4 days of the new year).

Before I get too far may I ask if this is in agreement?  The reference I am
using is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_week_date#First_week with the
suggest calculations
being https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_week_date#Calculation

For other calendars the definition of "first week" is/may be territory
specific.  As is "first day" and "weekday". Which is why localisation is
such fun ......

--Kip