Sorry for double-posting, but what also might be relevant is that other than I
thought `:maps.filter` is not a BIF (c. f. its implementation at
https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/master/lib/stdlib/src/maps.erl#L300)

We might be able to write our own alternative that wraps the interface one
level of abstraction lower, i. e. building on top of the map iterators and
from_list functions directly.