I was talking with coworkers about my team's experiments with Elm and I found
myself having to blunt their interest because of the current state of Elm 0.17
— documentation still has holes, tutorials haven't had a chance to arise, some
functionality is still missing relative to 0.16, etc. This wouldn't have been a
problem in some other languages I've advocated for in the past — e.g., Lua —
because I could have said "Elm 0.17 is out and it looks like a big step
forward. However, some pieces are missing and there isn't a lot of material
about it yet, so depending on what you want to do, you may find it easier right
now to start with 0.16 while the community transitions." Except I can't really
say that because access to 0.16 has become much harder. For example, one can no
longer just go to the web site and browse the documentation for 0.16. (Or if
one can, it's pretty buried.) Contrast this with Lua where the 5.1 (released in
2006) reference manual is available at online at lua.org and older versions are
available as archives. This leaves me with a problem when it comes to
advocating for Elm and when I explain the situation to people their response is
along the lines of suggesting that the Elm community can't be trusted not to
pull the rug out from under one.

So, while I'm mostly interested in seeing 0.17 get fleshed out, I think having
a link on the front page of elm-lang.org that would take one back to the 0.16
world would be a good thing while 0.17 matures.

Mark