Just to throw my two cents in, I'd want to be pretty conservative about any
macro/code gen system if there is an official one at all. One of the things I
love about Elm is that the restrictive nature of the language makes code very
easy to follow and understand, and naturally causes libraries to follow similar
patterns (things like JSON decoders, random generators and elm-check producers
all follow very similar patterns largely because the constraints of the
language mean that there's really only one good way to do it).

I'm worried that a macro system will let people get a bit "too creative" with
their code and we'll end up with indecipherable stuff like injection-based HTTP
servers with endpoints and parameter names magically deduced from function
signatures. Like how Evan has said that the Elm Architecture "seems to emerge
naturally in Elm", I think the current language structure does a great job of
encouraging good design, and I'm worried that a macro system could hurt that.