Hi, I'm working on building a scatterPlot module for one of my Elm projects.

This works (assigning Sp.defaultProps into defaultProps)
import ScatterPlot as Sp
defaultProps = Sp.defaultProps
init : (Model, Cmd Msg)
init =
  ( Model
      { defaultProps
      | series =
          [ { x = 0, y = 1000 }
          , { x = 1, y = 800 }
          , { x = 2, y = 700 }
          , { x = 3, y = 630 }
          , { x = 4, y = 590 }
          , { x = 5, y = 530 }
          , { x = 6, y = 500 }
          , { x = 7, y = 480 }
          ]
      , xRange = { lower = 0, upper = 10 }
      , yRange = { lower = 0, upper = 1000 }
      , chartWidth = 400
      , chartHeight = 200
      }
  , Cmd.none
  )

But this throws a compiler error
import ScatterPlot as Sp
init : (Model, Cmd Msg)
init =
  ( Model
      { Sp.defaultProps
      | series =
          [ { x = 0, y = 1000 }
          , { x = 1, y = 800 }
          , { x = 2, y = 700 }
          , { x = 3, y = 630 }
          , { x = 4, y = 590 }
          , { x = 5, y = 530 }
          , { x = 6, y = 500 }
          , { x = 7, y = 480 }
          ]
      , xRange = { lower = 0, upper = 10 }
      , yRange = { lower = 0, upper = 1000 }
      , chartWidth = 400
      , chartHeight = 200
      }
  , Cmd.none
  )

I ran into something unexpected when parsing your code! 23| {
Sp.defaultProps ^ I am looking for one of the following things: a closing
bracket '}' a lower case name whitespace

It'd be nice to use Sp.defaultProps to be more succinct and keep the new
name space clean, but I haven't figured out how to do this yet.

this is my implementation in ScatterPlot.elm
module ScatterPlot exposing (Point, Series, Range, Props, defaultProps,
scatterPlot)
defaultProps : Props
defaultProps =
  { series = []
  , xRange = { lower = 0, upper = 100 }
  , yRange = { lower = 0, upper = 100 }
  , chartHeight = 100
  , chartWidth = 100
  }

Thanks for any help; just starting in elm and working to get comfortable
with modularizing code.