I dislike the idea of any syntax that will let me do something dumb and let
me "Fix it later" because that generally never happens

Zach
ᐧ

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 11:15 PM, Filip Haglund <fille.hagl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Keeping with the helpfullness of the compiler, having warnings when doing
> scetchy things with string interpolation (issue #905 on Github
> <https://github.com/elm-lang/elm-compiler/issues/905>) could be useful.
> This could be warnings about building urls's from variables that might be
> user input. It could also be about building SQL queries, or HTML.
>
> I suggest having some basic checks in the compiler for these areas where
> special care should be taken. This would generate warnings, assuming it is
> a mistake until proven otherwise.
>
> `"http://example.com/profile/{{userdata}}/"` would generate a warning.
> `"http://example.com/profile/{{[url] userdata }}/"`would not.
>
> `"My name is {{[url] userdata}}."`would generate a warning.
> `"My name is {{userdata}}."`would not.
>
> `"Check out my <a href='://example.com/{{[html]
> <http://example.com/%7B%7B%5Bhtml%5D> userdata}}/blog'>blog</a>."` would
> generate a warning.
> `"Check out my <a href='://example.com/{{[url]
> <http://example.com/%7B%7B%5Burl%5D> userdata}}/blog'>blog</a>."` would
> generate a warning.
> `"Check out my <a href='://example.com/{{[html
> <http://example.com/%7B%7B%5Bhtml>, url] userdata}}/blog'>blog</a>."`
> would not.
>
> `"Select * from users where username = '{{userdata}}'"` would generate a
> warning.
> `"Select * from users where username = '{{[html, url] userdata}}'"`
> would generate a warning.
> `"Select * from users where username = '{{[sql] userdata}}'"` would not.
>
> Exact syntax is not important right now. I want to know what the community
> thinks about the idea of "I know what I'm doing"-annotated string
> interpolation.

Zach Kessin
SquareTarget <http://squaretarget.rocks?utm_source=email-sig>
Twitter: @zkessin <https://twitter.com/zkessin>