I Had that reaction at first also, however I don't mind so much now cause
you do see map2 appear in other core packages (e.g Task), so the change
must be for consistency.  Much as I dislike function names with numbers in
them like 'map2', 'zip' doesn't work well everywhere.

In other words, it seems value has been put on function names being
consistently 'meh' rather than peculiar and descriptive. I guess it depends
if you are one of those people who can remember loads of different function
names or not!