On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 11:17:23 AM UTC, Peter Damoc wrote:

> There are two approaches to interacting with JS:
> 1. ports
> 2. Native
>
> modules with ports cannot be packaged/published and are designed to be
> used ONLY in the final product
> modules with Native code can be packaged/published but they have to be
> whitelisted.
> Their use is discouraged outside of the web-platform that the official
> elm-lang org is implementing.
>
> elm-github-install is designed for the brave rebels who want to
> collaborate on non-whitelisted Native modules.
>
> To my knowledge, port modules were never designed to be shared.

I understand and support the reasons for the above. Ok, so when it says it
can be used to share native modules it does not mean ports.

I found using a port to enable global communication with the Auth module
from anywhere in my application (any time you get a 401 or 403 you invoke
'unauthed') to be quite convenient. Perhaps I might find a better solution
to this using out messages, or perhaps Elm will eventually develop some
sort of pub/sub messaging mechanism that I could use instead.

I'm only wanting to share this code accross my own projects - i don't think
it is really usable by others in its current state.

I think I will put all the code I want to share in its own folder, and
share that accross projects as a git submodule. Not the ideal solution but
better than the alternative of cut and paste coding.