Hi all,

Evan suggested that I describe my predicament here, if someone knows a better
place then please let me know!

As you might know I have led the Akka <http://akka.io/> team for several years,
so I know quite a bit about technology for distributed systems and backend. I’m
one of the three founders of Actyx <https://actyx.io/en>: we develop and sell
software that makes it a lot easier to run small factories well—we do that by
giving operators and managers the information they need, intuitively and when
they need it, weaving data acquisition into the natural workflows. In other
words, we lift manufacturing IT into the 21st century, aiming for nothing less
than a reinterpretation of “production quality software” (pun intended). We are
looking for someone matching my qualification on the frontend, someone who has
created relevant tech and has enough experience to know exactly how to set up
the frontend part of our engineering team (architecture, testing, CI, etc.).
What we are attempting to do is definitely non-trivial, we are looking into
having the mobile devices on the shop-floor coordinate in swarm-like fashion
(e.g. using CRDTs) in order to get around the requirement of having to install
dedicated server infrastructure in the factory.

The reason I am exploring the Elm angle is that all knowledgeable frontend
engineers I know have pointed towards Elm as really interesting. Coming from
Scala I am certainly in favor of using strongly typed languages, although my
frontend knowledge in general is too shallow to prescribe a certain technology
stack—that is precisely what we need the Director of Frontend Engineering
<https://www.actyx.io/en/join-us/director-of-frontend-engineering/> for.

Thanks a lot for reading,

Roland

Dr. Roland Kuhn