I was reading the various message posts, and I happened upon this post on
the stance of native modules from a year ago:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/elm-dev/native$20author$3aeva...@gmail.com/elm-dev/1JW6wknkDIo/H9ZnS71BCAAJ

I was just wondering if there was an updated stance? Or this is pretty much
the way going forward?

I'm all cool with the stance. But for some libraries, I hesitate to
reimplement in elm, such as a parser/renderer for markdown or vega. It
seems non-trivial. And I worry about having to track the upstream changes,
since I'm neither a markdown for vega expert. I also noticed that the
standard elm-markdown uses a minified JS version of marked.js in it as a
native module. Even then, the renderer wasn't implemented in pure Elm.

So right now, I'm using ports, as suggested, and a native module for
commonmark.js. It makes some things a bit cumbersome, but it's working out
so far. Just wanted to know if there were any thoughts from Elm maintainers
about the topic going forward.

Wil