I just ran into this problem. And the work around was pretty simple, and
mentioned in a message in this group a while back.

          textarea [
            property "defaultValue" (Json.Encode.string model.body)
          , onInput UpdateBody
          , rows (model.cursorAperture * 2)
          , id "edit-glass"
          , class "form-control"] []
        ]

I used defaultValue instead of value. I think the textarea and the various
frameworks fight each other when 'value' is used, so you get the jumpiness
going on. I think it's because Elm is keyed off of 'value' for updates.
This way, the textarea maintains its own state, and when it changes, it
doesn't trigger a re-render from Elm for the textarea itself.