Jan, can you tell us about your use case?

Elm-compiler doesn't export the parser as a library. If you're looking to
do stuff like that, elm-format might be a better starting point for a
parser: https://github.com/avh4/elm-format

The syntax is not exported as an API because it is subject to change: Elm
is currently pre-1.0, and as you can see from our release notes, the syntax
frequently changes between releases.

Additionally, many people who use Elm are not Haskell users, so we didn't
want them to need Haskell in order to use Elm, thus the switch to NPM
and/or the Windows/Mac installers.