Just wondering if there is anyone out there interested in isomorphic
applications with Elm? or has tried experimenting with isomorphic Elm?

Now that I have the same view code running on server and client side, it
occurs to me that I am potentially getting into isomorphic web development.
If I understand it right, and isomorphic app is one which is written in
javascript in order to run the same code client or server side. Some or all
of the page rendering is done server side, then whatever has been rendered
plus the application state is handed over to the client, and the client
displays it or completes or enhances the rendering. The idea is to be able
to get the best of both worlds without having to write the code twice; once
in javascript for the client and once in some other language for the server.

In my case, I am using server side rendering just for (relatively) static
content, so there is practically no application state. I am pretty much
there with this simple application model as far as being isomorphic goes.

I believe there is something called the 'isomorphic hand-off' which refers
to the transfer of state from server to client, once the server rendering
has completed. I think this needs to go something like this:

Run Elm on Server to produce HTML + a little bit of javascript to request
everything needed to complete on the client.
Show HTML on the client as quickly as possible (that is, don't download the
Elm code just yet).
Trigger the loading of the javascript needed to complete the client side
rendering (the same Elm program as was run on the server).
Start up the Elm program and request the state from the server.
Continue rendering from where the server side left off.

I'm really not sure what exactly the difference is between isomorphic and
progressive enhancement. What I am actually trying to do is to add an
editing mode on the client side - so client and server side renderings will
be very different and more capabilities will be available in client editing
mode. For this reason, I don't think isomorphic is really what I am after,
but I can't help wondering if Elm provides a very neat starting point for
doing it.

I think Elm might be very well suited to isomorphic, so long as you keep
the model clean and don't put any functions in it. If it is easy to
encode/decode the model, then it becomes almost trivial to write the
isomorphic hand-off?