One more point here is that using a Program with Flags to pass the initial
model state, it's good to parse the model state from the rendered DOM,
rather than sending the data (again) as JSON.

It's easy enough to extract the needed data in JavaScript before
initialising Elm but it would be good to have a hook or extension point
or... to enable this to be defined in Elm too.

(Rupert: if you're going to work on this, please hit me up for input/help!)

C.