I did not know F# supported that, which is good news. It means that there's
feasible, theoretically sound way of solving this problem. In Elm, it would
require making the mathematical operations aware of units and therefore
even more "special" that the *number* not-a-typeclass. But units still feel
like the right abstraction for this problem, especially if strings could be
marked as having a unit (never mix up usernames and passowrds again!), so
I'd much rather consider adding units of measure to the language *later* than
some weird, halfbaked idea *now.*