+1.

My previous concerns basically go away if the "core" elm people make an
effort to upvote newbie threads and comments on the weekly beginner thread.
If new people get ~5 upvotes, that should be enough to make them not feel
excluded.

But yeah, moderation, pinned FAQs/guidelines, and all that good stuff would
be an improvement.