I haven't seen it said explicitly, but is it expected that any "fairly
powerful macro" type system would be implemented outside of / around Elm?

Or anything "meta", really. It seems like Elm eschews power for simplicity,
so maybe the recommended solution is to use external tools, e.g. code
generators, or native code that links to other compiled-to-js languages?