Thanks Ian for the link. I will keep this work in mind though I don't think
I could use it for my current project. It seems focused on rgbd matrix data
type which is great for transparent dynamic graphics. Svg representation
does really suits my needs for now since I'm visualizing non changing data
(or rarely, or path/polygon types of data) in changing frame (zooming,
moving, etc). So svg transformations are the only thing to change, no
canvas recomputation.

For my image binary masks representation, I just stumbled upon Noah's
elm-flat-matrix
<http://package.elm-lang.org/packages/eeue56/elm-flat-matrix/latest/> lib
which feels very interesting. The only thing a bit weird for matrix
manipulation is the row-major implementation and notation (first index
refers to column). This makes sense in the context of image manipulation
though (with x corresponding to the width, being always the first
coordinate).

Regarding the transformation of the image file to matrix data, I feel like
I have no other choice than to do it in JS. I found some interesting
example of how to deal with this in the jimp
<https://github.com/oliver-moran/jimp/blob/master/browser/src/jimp-wrapper.js>
lib code. Since I can't escape JS for now, I might also try to visualize
the binary masks with ports. The idea being that I create a dedicated
tag+id in the elm view code. Pass the data and the id of the tag in which
JS should include the visualization by generating the data uri to put in
the dedicated tag. (hoping following elm view updates will not change this
tag if no reason to - maybe by using html keyed ?).

If anyone thinks I'm heading for a fall, please tell me.

PS: Ian your OpenSolid repositories rock. I just switched to it instead of
my previous home made solutions. I might have propositions also for an
addition into the the Polygon2d and LineSegment2d modules but that's
another story.