On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 10:44:01 PM UTC, Brian Marick wrote:

> I’m four chapters into a book that covers Elm, Purescript, and possibly
> Idris. It’s to be a book with several significant differences from the
> usual introduction to a statically typed FP language. One is that I’d like
> to include lots of idioms and patterns (in the original sense, not the
> “code examples to copy and tweak” sense).
>
> Three requests:
>
> 1. I have a chapter on `Maybe` that treats it as a type with several
> idioms around it. Does the chapter make sense to you more experienced Elm
> programmers?

Makes sense for Maybe to have its own chapter. Possible also discuss Result
in the same chapter? as they both are ways of defining computations that
may fail.

> 2. Do you have other idioms - for Maybe or for anything else - that you’d
> like to see included?
>
> 3. Finally: I’ve written four books. They’re a lot of work, especially the
> way I write them (which is to learn while I’m writing.) Do you think this
> book is worthwhile? If so, there’s a bit on the Leanpub landing page that
> lets you declare how much you’d pay for it.
>
> The landing page for the book: https://leanpub.com/outsidefp There’s a
> link to the four pages (“free sample”) just below the blurb.

How about "Statically Typed FP for the Working Programmer" as a title?
Richard Feldman's upcoming Elm book inevitably dedicates space to
introducing Elm and the practicalities of getting a newb started with it. I
think your book idea might work and not having to sacrifice space to that
noble task, could instead contain lots of code patterns - could be good.