This is related to https://github.com/elm-lang/elm-package/issues/217

You don't have to reinstall elm, just delete your elm-stuff dir and re-run
elm-package.

The crux is there's bugs in elm-package where if you manually delete things
under elm-stuff/packages but still have an unchanged
exact-dependencies.json, elm-package isn't smart enough to know you need to
reinstall stuff.

The good news is that there's active discussion on the elm-dev list about
redesigning elm-package, so these issues will be getting fixed soon enough!

-- Chad