I struggled with this a bit some time ago (had to clear some form fields on
command), and no matter which solution I tried there were unwanted side
effects that I just could not make it work with just Elm.

So what I ended up doing was use a port to use plain javascript to reset
the field values and unlink the value of the fields from the model
property.. it was the cleanest way I could find at the time and as soon as
issue 105 is fixed I can remove it easily (I can just link back the model
property to the value of the fields, and remove the command using the port).
I wouldn't say this is the recommended way, but I just wanted to share the
experience.