FWIW I am working on a major overhaul
of https://github.com/xarvh/elm-styled-html

The core idea is that CSS should be just normal Elm code, so that any
pattern, syntax and tool that you can use for normal Elm code, you can use
for CSS: modularisation, common variables, generator functions,
tree-shaking and basically any feature that will be added to the Elm
compiler (code-splitting, lazy code loading, maybe compile-time inlining?).
Plus, you kill a big chunk of your build pipeline.

The new version will add the styles lazily in the document header, and
drops the class name hash in favour of just using the module name for
namespacing to be faster and generate class names that are more readable
and meaningful.

Also, we are using Elm with rtfeldman/elm-css in production, and we are not
sure whether the latter is worth the effort, since it adds a lot of
overhead to solve problems that are not really a big deal (at least for us)
in CSS; because of this ideally I would like to support both elm-css style
declarations, and plain strings declarations.