Also to expand on why I used an empty tuple - Elm, from my understanding,
will cache the call if it just returns a Bool, because it ends up looking
like a constant. I don't know if, as a result, Elm will actually execute
the function a second time, or if it will just return the boolean value
from the first run of the call. The empty tuple forces elm to see this as a
function rather than a constant, but it's a hack, and not a good practice.