On 15 April 2014 20:41, Denis Leclair <de...@theleclairs.ca> wrote:

> I have CentOS 6.5 running on an HP EliteBook 840 G1 with kernel-ml. The
> problem is, I'm not getting any detection of the external monitor that I
> have plugged in to the VGA port. I'm not sure where to beging
> troubleshooting this problem and I'm not finding a whole of advice online
> either.
>
> The details of what I get from xrandr as well as other system information
> can be found on this post I added to the CentOS forums:
> https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=45930
>
> I would appreciate any advice on things that I should check for or
> additional reading I can do on the topic.
>
> Thanks.

I'd suggest that you consider using xrandr.

Look to see what interfaces it recognises, by default. Plug in the
external monitor and use xrandr to activate the interface.

For example, with my Dell Latitude E5500 I see the following --

[Duo2 ~]$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 800, maximum 8192 x 8192
LVDS1 connected 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 331mm x 207mm
   1280x800       60.0*+   59.8     59.9     40.0
   1280x768       59.9     60.0
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3     56.2
   848x480        60.0
   640x480        59.9
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
TV1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
[Duo2 ~]$

Alan.