On 10/17/21 3:00 PM, James Pearson wrote:
OK, I think I now have what I need working

The docs at
<https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/html/installation_guide/sect-preparing_an_initial_ram_disk_update-x86>
 got me part of the way - but I also had to add 'inst.dd=/dd.iso' to the PXE config
'append' line - i.e. something like (using the above RHEL 6 docs example):

  label el7-dd
  kernel el7/vmlinuz
  append initrd=el7/initrd.img,el7/dd.img inst.dd=/dd.iso ...

(dd.img is a gzip'd cpio archive containing just dd.iso at the top level
directory)

I actually found out about this by accident, when one of my test installs
dropped me into a dracut shell and I noticed my 'dd.iso' in the root directory

However, it does seem strange that there is no mention of using a driver disk
via PXE boot installs in the RHEL 7 install docs ?

It's a bit hidden unless you know what to look for but it exists

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/installation_guide/sect-driver-updates-performing-x86

wolfy

--

Thanks