Mario tried to submit this earlier, although I stopped to look up for
unregistered mails to the ML due a very high amount of spam in the
mailfilter.

---- so here's his mail -----

How to setup the Empia em28xx DVB-T drivers for the Hauppauge HVR-900
(65018/B2C0) USB device on a Gentoo system:

This Howto is tested on a ~i386 Gentoo with a gentoo-sources 2.6.24 kernel
installed
It is assumed, that you do all of the following steps as super user

Kernel setup:
=============

First you have to set up the appropriate settings for the em28xx drivers:
# cd /usr/src/linux
# make menuconfig

Then select the following kernel options
Device Drivers:
  <*> I2C Support --->
    <*>   I2C device interface

  Multimedia Devices --->
    <*> Video For Linux
    [*]   Enable Video For Linux API 1 (DEPRECATED) (NEW)
    -*-   Enable Video For Linux API 1 compatible Layer
    [*] Video capture adapters --->
      [*]   V4L USB devices:
      <M>   Empia EM2800/2820/2840 USB video capture support
    <*> DVB for Linux

Be sure, that you compile the Empia drivers as a module!
We just compile them to set dependent kernel options like CONFIG_VIDEO_IR and
CONFIG_VIDEO_IR_I2C
and delete them after compiling

Then compile the kernel by doing the usual:
# make
# make modules_install

Now copy the new kernel image on your boot partition and reboot
# mount /boot
# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo
# cp System.map /boot/
# reboot

Now delete the previous built Empia driver:
# rm `find /lib/modules/ | grep em28xx.ko`

Driver Installation:
====================

Ok, now we are going to check out the driver repositories and build the
driver, make sure you have 'mercurial' installed:
# cd ~
# mkdir em28xx
# cd em28xx
# hg clone http://mcentral.de/hg/~mrec/userspace-drivers
# cd userspace-drivers
# sh build.sh

# cd ..
# hg clone http://mcentral.de/hg/~mrec/em28xx-userspace2
# cd em28xx-userspace2
# sh build.sh

You will encounter the two following warnings but you can ignore them:
WARNING: "v4l_dvb_stub_attach" [/root/em28xx/em28xx-userspace2/em28xx-dvb.ko]
undefined!
WARNING:
/lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo/kernel/drivers/media/video/em28xx/em28xx-dvb.ko
needs unknown symbol v4l_dvb_stub_attach

If all went fine, install the new driver:
# make install

There is another warning you can ignore because this daemon will only start if
the media-stub module is loaded first:
 * WARNING:  media-daemon has not yet been started.

# modprobe media-stub

Now check if the media-daemon is started:
# /etc/init.d/media-daemon status
 * status:  started

Then load the driver:
# modprobe em28xx-dvb

Now we are done installing the drivers and you should now have the /dev/dvb/
directory
If the device seems to be not available after a reboot, just reload the
driver:
# modprobe -r em28xx-dvb
# modprobe -r em28xx-audio
# modprobe em28xx-dvb

Start your favorite DVB-T app (e.g. kaffeine) do a frequency scan and have fun
enjoying the bad TV program ;)

I hope this howto does help anybody. Please feel free to send me any feedback
on this post!

Mario