Hi,

> That is, "Í" rather than "Ì".
  Correct, Índice.

> In fact, one could argue that it should
> just be just "Indice" (or perhaps "Indice General"), since it is usual
> in Spanish to omit accents on capital letters.

  It is „usual" to write omitting all type of things... As for the
correct writing, the academy of spanish language says that it has been
always mandatory to write accents on capital letters; thus Í
http://www.rae.es/rae/gestores/gespub000018.nsf/(voAnexos)/arch8100821B76809110C12571B80038BA4A/$File/CuestionesparaelFAQdeconsultas.htm#ap22

   „Índice" is ok; sometimes it's also used „Índice de contenidos" but
„Índice" is the most common.

   And shouldn't the french „Table des Matières" be written „Table des
matières"? I think that the capitalization on titles is just typical
for English.

   Greetings,
Daniel.