I just spend a good half hour tracking this down.  It looks like this, in
org-mode is killing me.  It look wrong to me, but I'm not an expert:
    (set-display-table-slot
     org-display-table 4
     (vconcat (mapcar
       (lambda (c) (make-glyph-code c (and (not (stringp org-ellipsis))
   org-ellipsis)))
       (if (stringp org-ellipsis) org-ellipsis "..."))))

Why are we making a glyph-code out of an ellipsis?  We end up with a
strange-looking display-table.