Wow, as usual thanks Nick, great help and insights.

Say, LaTeX and xpdf and poppler and Okular are all great software--suggest
you try out xournal too:

apt-get install xournal

--shows .pdfs and many tools for editing .pdf's

Also, you're well aware of the Emacs/ELisp tools for .pdf's (
https://github.com/politza/pdf-tools); but, suggest you install and tinker
with CPAN/Perl's pdf-tools--well worth investigating.