Indeed, I based this approach off a patch Rasmus posted some time ago for
colored blocks ;)

It is also similar to some other approaches in org-mode, e.g.
the "org-%s-complete-link" functions.

I am ok with a single variable that is an a-list that combines face and
display.

Would you consider expanding org-add-link-type like this to set those in
the special variable?

(org-add-link-type "somename" 'click-func 'export-func :face some-face
:display path)

You could always add them manually to the variable for links already
defined somewhere else.

John

Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F