Hello,

Scott Randby <sran...@gmail.com> writes:

> There is an interesting issue here. I sometimes want to use ~ in a code
> snippet, so I can't use ~code snippet~. Yet,

Indeed, this was discussed in this ML. We need some escape character in
Org. A general escape character is a bit ambitious, and not necessarily
useful, but we could introduce one specifically for verbatim and code
markers, much like in macros and verbatim blocks, e.g.

  ~some\~code\=with special\\ characters~

There is a design decision involved: what character can be escaped? It
could be anything, or limit to "~" for code and "=" for verbatim
markers. For example macros limit escape-able characters to "," and "\".
This makes the contents easier to read, but the rule is inconsistent.

Thoughts?

> Org code: \verb@a_variable_deleteThisAndItWorks@
>
> Exported LaTeX: \verb@a\(_{\text{variable}}_{\text{deleteThisAndItWorks}}\)@
>
> The exported LaTeX is not what we want. Instead,
>
> Org code: #+latex:\verb@a_variable_deleteThisAndItWorks@
>
> Alternative: @@latex:\verb@a_variable_deleteThisAndItWorks@@@
>
> Exported LaTeX: \verb@a_variable_deleteThisAndItWorks@
>
> I've wondered why \verb isn't exported correctly without specifying it
> as literal LaTeX,

It's because Org recognize LaTeX commands only if they are followed by
a blank character, the end of buffer, or "{}", which is not the case
with \verb@...@.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou