Thank you so much for the responses! In fact I did try filing a bug report
to the org-html-slideshow developers, but the project is no longer under
active development and I never heard back.

Fortunately, I was able to convince a friend who's a ClojureScript expert
to take a look. He forked the org-html-slideshow project and updated the
code to be compatible with the new org-mode export, as well as adding a
bunch of extra features like a play/pause keystroke for HTML5 videos and
YouTube videos.

So if anyone's interested in HTML presentations, a new and improved version
of org-html-slideshow that's compatible with org-mode 9.x is available at:
https://github.com/aiba/org-html-slideshow.

Thanks everyone!