What if you set the category in the function? So the function has something
like cond (( or (org-category vacation) (org-category f_event)
(background: red))

I obviously don't know how to write it, but the idea is that the categories are
already set in the function. I won't have many, three tops, and I won't change
them often -- no need to be fully dynamic.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile