What do you mean with the "uppercase legacy"? You mean all the current
documents we already have?
In my case, those will remain with the upper case tags until I need to edit
them.

I guess it would be enough to patch the sites affected by

> https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/commit/13424336a6f30c50952d291e7a82906c1210daf0
> and also the templates definition in org-tempo.

Looking at that diff, the changes are not so simple as I initially thought,
I was just thinking about patching org-tempo, but I guess they should cover
all the uppercase tags.
Now I don't feel so confident about doing it :-(

Regards