henry atting <nsmp...@online.de> wrote:

> What is the underlying command for this shortcut:
>
> M-S-<RET>
>     Insert a new item with a checkbox

org-insert-todo-heading - it just happens to do special things in
special cases. At the end of a plain list item or a checkbox item, it
calls (org-insert-item 'checkbox) instead of inserting a todo heading.

> It does not work for me (if cursor is in a plain list already),
> so I have to fill in checkboxes with C-c C-x C-b.

What does it do? And don't forget to provide version information
both for org-mode and for emacs.

> Another question: Is it possible to do something like dired-to-org,
> where the directory structure (including the subdirectories) is
> written to an org file?
> At the moment I do something like:
>
> find `pwd` -maxdepth 4
>
> save the result to an org file, and additionally add `file:' at the
> beginnig of each line with sed. Maybe there is something more
> convenient?

I think this would be fairly easy to implement and there are many ways
to do it, but:

I have seen requests like this before and I must admit I don't understand
why this would be useful. So this is is a useless rant from your point of
view, but maybe you could explain: what is the use of this? If you want to
be able to get to all of the files/subdirectories of the directory, why not
add a single link to the top-level directory in your org file and then use
the facilities of dired from there? Why is it important to have links to all
the files?

HTH,
Nick