As always great advice from Jude DaSheill:

In Emacs you can set the auto-save-interval SETQ to whatever you want;
suggest you increase that number of interval of keystrokes required before
an auto-save or maybe just turn off auto-saving altogether--if things start
to slow down

If you do try Linux; and everyone should at one point, realize that in
Linux you can easily create & mount extra "swap partitions" on your hard
drive which can be used in lieu of memory and/or in addition to it, if
indeed as you wondered, there may be a bottleneck of memory usage when you
try to use OrgMode--adding swap space may help--maybe not, I haven't looked
into it recently, don't want to get your hopes up for such a solution

In Linux you can also use exotic things like PVM--Parrallel Virtual
Memory--i.e. use memory from OTHER machines YMMV

In Linux you can also use Emacs OrgMode and/or VLFMode i.e. "Very Large
File Mode" and/or use FUSE to meld directory trees together with remote
machines & then edit with your best machine, the machine with the largest
RAM--with VLFMode in Emacs you can edit files of ANY size (since it only
puts in part of the file at a time)--or you could try VLFMode in the first
place; please tell me the results if you try that--does it speed up things
for you? Does it solve your problem?

Strongly suggest splitting up large OrgMode files when things slow down
and/or just putting a link to those other files that you may want to use
when in your main OrgMode file by using the file protocol:

[[file:~/my-OrgMode-file2][File2]] [[file:~/my-OrgMode-file3][File3]] ...

Other than that, I'd suggest trying to use CygWin on Windows first if you
haven't used CygWin yet, CygWin comes with XWindows & many other things
related to Linux that you may be familiar with can be used too--CygWin was
donated to the Free Software Communities from Red Hat--many thanks Red Hat!

What do Kill Gates' Micro$loth WindBlows users use now to run Emacs &
OrgMode?--y'all use CygWin right?

Installing CygWin on Windows is quick and easy & then so is installing
Emacs and/or OrgMode after that