Ihor Radchenko <yanta...@posteo.net> writes:

No Wayman <iarchivedmywholel...@gmail.com> writes:

The attached patch should take care of that.

Thanks!

I played a bit more with the patch and noticed that remote tag lookup is
not performed prior to _any_ make command.
For example, there is a noticeable delay on my network when running
something as simple as make clean.

Maybe it would be better to download the tags instead of running
ls-remote every time? I also imagine that ls-remote might pull newer
tags compared to the actual clone.

An alternative could be postponing git ls-remote call to when the actual
targets using GITVERSION are being called.

Feel free to take this the patch as a base to do whatever you please with it. I've run out of free time to iterate on it.