Ihor,

> Then, if the backend does not define variable expansion method, do
> nothing. If the backend is not loaded, throw an error/warning (maybe
> depending on a customization).

great.  thanks.  if customizable, i'd vote to default with an error.

then, for what it's worth, my experience led me to write some code for a
command line program (basically, an elisp script) to tangle files.

if anyone is interested in playing/using it, that'd be great.  the idea
is to figure out what languages are needed by walking the source code
blocks, keeping track of languages, then set `org-babel-load-languages`
appropriately, and tangle the file.
----
https://sr.ht/~minshall/org-cli-tangle/
----