Ihor Radchenko <yanta...@posteo.net> writes:

> In the attached patch, I am changing all the commands in Org mode,
> including "self-insert" and "delete-backwards" to respect this option.

Given positive responses, I have applied the patch onto main.
Applied, patch.
Closed, poll.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=aa71facf6

> However, because ~org-auto-align-tags~ is disabled by default, this will
> cause breaking change - there are many more commands in Org mode that
> re-align tags unconditionally compared to the commands that do take it
> into account.

That was a mistake. org-auto-align-tags is _enabled_ by default. So, the
change will only be breaking for users who explicitly disabled
org-auto-align-tags. (see the updated news entry in the commit)

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,