Peyton Okubo <okubo...@umn.edu> writes:

> I have the following org markup:
>
> - morphisms: =f :: a -> b maps to F f :: F a -> F b=
>
> "morphisms" is being emphasized the double colons in the verbatim block
> are being matched as description lists. This breaks the verbatim block
> on export. I am able to reproduce this with code blocks as well.
>
> Fairly new to org. But I couldn't find any sources stating that this is
> the intended behavior. I think a user should be able to use a double
> colon in a verbatim block (in a list item).

You are hitting an edge case in Org mode markup.
:: sequence in list items is unconditionally marking description lists.

Normally, we suggest to use zero-width space to resolve such edge
cases. However, you are using =verbatim= markup and zero-width space may
not be suitable.

What you can do instead is move the list item to the next line:

-
  morphisms: =f :: a -> maps to F f :: F a -> F b=

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,